THIS next line REDIRECTS PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY FROM THIS BLOGGER BLOG TO ROBSKEE.COM wherever it is hosted --put in bit--

24 August, 2006

Udderly amazed

"Moo-Arr! Westcountry cows moo in farmers’ accents!"

I simply can't let this pass without comment.

I have no problem with the fact (asserted by West Country Farmhouse Cheesemakers) that
West Country cows are wrapped up in cow coats and they are played classical music to help them relax whilst being milked.
I'm even ok with Glastonbury cheesemaker Lloyd Green's claim:
I spend a lot of time with my Friesians and they definitely moo with a Somerset drawl.
No problem there. Everyone has a right to express their personal observations.

What I find disturbing is Mr Frege Green's leap from anecdotal evidence to proof-by-analogy:
I’ve spoken to the other farmers in the West Country group and they have noticed a similar development in their own herds. I think it works the same as with dogs - the closer a farmer’s bond is with his animals, the easier it is for them to pick up his accent.
Of course! It's much easier to accept the world is flat when you realise it would roll straight off the backs of those turtles if it were round.

- - -

Reuters have reported on this, or you may have seen it on the ABC.

No comments: